Moving in

HOME > Overseas Moving > Moving in
Moving Freight Standard
01 Shipper
  • Koreans (Except for overseas permanent residents) who resided in a foreign country and lived more than 1 year. (6 months if accompanied by a family member)
  • Foreigner or overseas permanent resident, whos planning to live in Korea for more than 1 year. (or 6 months if accompanied by a family member)
02 Short-term stay
  • If you are a resident of Korea (Except for overseas permanent residents) who have settled in a foreign country (For more than 3 months and less than 1 year) and planning to return home after a stay (3 or more months if you are accompanied by a family member)
  • A foreign resident or overseas permanent resident who resides in Korea for more than 3 months and less than 1 year
    (3 to 6 months if accompanied by a family member)
  • In order for the goods to be imported and be considered as moving freight, the goods must arrive within six months from the date of entry for the purpose of moving.
Moving cargo means items which has been used by the person or his / her family members wished to be brought from the
former residence. Also items must be approved by the customs officer. Commercial related items are not accepted as moving freight.
Value Local Foreigner
Conditions for bringing in foreign freight and required documents 1 year in a foreign country, 6 months or more with a family member - Passport and family passport
- Immigration certificate
- Cargo transportation documents
  (B / L, P / L, D / O)

Additional documents for permanent residents abroad
1. Completely returning after giving up permanent
- Passport invalidation certificate
2. Expected to stay in Korea for more than 1 year
- residence certificate
- Documents necessary for confirming the
  period of stay such as an employment contract
1. Foreigner
- Passport
- Alien registration card or Visa
- Employment contract or housing contract
  stating the term
Local Transportation Procedures
Pre-move survey and Packing schedule
After confirmation of consignees destination place in Korea, contact GLS KOREA for pre-move survey and arrange delivery date.
On the scheduled packing day, GLS KOREA's or AGENTs packing team will visit your home to carry out packing.
Customs clearance and Sea transport
When the packing of the goods is completed, the goods are loaded on the container in front of the house or warehouse of GLS KOREA and AGENT, and then loaded in the container. Containers will be transferred to customs warehouse after customs clearance for local shipment and then deliver according to schedule.
Import Clearance
  • When the ship arrives at the port, containers will be unloaded and transported inland.
  • Before the cargo arrives at customs, the person in charge from GLS KOREA will contact consignee and guide through the required documents for customs clearance.
  • After the Customs clearance in the morning, consignees freight will be delivered to shippers home in the afternoon. (Delivery is held on the same day)
Automobile customs Clearance
Custom Clearance Requirements of automobile
  • The vehicles owners must comply with the director's standards in order to clear the customs as a moving good, and person who temporarily stays in the local country needs to go through the general import process as they are not accepted as moving goods.
  • The number of passengers of Passenger cars, SUV, jeeps, and wagon types are limited up to 10 people, including the driver. And if the purpose of using the vehicle is not for a person, it is not accepted as moving goods.
  • The vehicle custom clearance is subject to a vehicle which the owner has used or owns it for more than three months, and only 1 vehicle per family is allowed. After customs clearance, you must register under your name at the National Vehicle Registration Office. If the name is used as the name of the accompanying family, the information of the registered person shall be displayed only if you report to customs.
Required documents for customs clearance
  • Personal and accompanying family passports, a copy of the bill of lading (B/L), Delivery Order (D/O), packing list (packing list)
  • The documents for checking the period of usage
    1. Vehicle Registration which has been registered in foreign institution or Certificate of Title
    2. If without the car registration, the documents which can prove the period of using based on objective data such as car insurance
       certificate and registration certificate.
    3. Copy of domestic liability insurance receipt (for issuing temporary service license)
    4. Required documents for registration of the vehicle for business (inquiry: Registration business establishment in Incheon
       ( 032-815-3611~8)
    • Receiving report repair certificate source (Lost and damaged)
    • Temporary handling permit and registration plate
    • Automobile Inspection Certificate (issued by the Korea Automobile Inspection Center)
    • (When reintroducing domestic cars) Domestic registration cancellation certificate at the time of export
    • Domestic liability insurance receipt
    • Personal ID card (must be registered by oneself)
    • Registered tax: Registration tax (5 %), acquisition tax (2 %), and bond purchase (20 %).
Standards of Taxation
Sortation shipper
Custom expenses V.A.T
Exported car Tax free Tax free
Foreign car and local produced domestic car Tax Tax
Customs expenses include tariffs, special excise duties, and education taxes.
Precautions on customs clearance
  • You must submit a document to the customs authorities to prove registration, such as a registration card or certificate of ownership, and if you fail to submit it, you cannot clear customs with the moving goods.
  • Vehicles that are cleared by moving goods must be registered on the import declaration form, under the name of the identified director or accompanying family member, and must not be registered under the name of another person.